Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Loving "Graceland"

"The Mississippi Delta was shining like a national guitar," is the opening line to Paul Simon's "Graceland" from the album of the same name. The song details the journey of a man to the legendary home of Elvis Presley. The protagonist of the song is searching for redemption, a mystical understanding, or perhaps some sort of personal knowledge at Graceland similar to a religious pilgrim. In the narrative, the man is on this quest to help recover from the recent end of a relationship.

This song has always had a special place in my heart. To me, "Losing love is like a window in your heart; everybody sees you're blown apart" is one of the most beautiful truths I have ever heard in a song. When ever I have suffered from a broken heart, I have thought of this line. It seems to perfectly explain how I feel so well.

"Graceland" also hits me on another level. For as long as I can remember, I have believed in the "myth" of America. I am a staunch lover of our popular culture and the reality it creates such as the "American Dream." The notion a man or woman may change from pauper to prince almost overnight.

Simon invokes this belief by making Graceland a holy place for secular America. To Simon, the protagonist will be "received in Graceland" along with other pilgrims. They will find answers they are seeking at the home of a poor truck driver from Tupelo, Mississippi who became a king. To millions of Americans, Graceland is proof of what is possible in America, and Simon recognizes the power of this location.

Since I am a male, the song has extra meaning for me. It is fairly clear that the protagonist is a man. More than likely it is an auto-biographical song by Simon, but the thoughts expressed could be applied to anyone of either sex. However, it seems to be more applicable to men. Additionally, the song appeals to me due to its regional topics. I grew up in the South and recognize the same history Simon does as the character drives down the Mississippi river to the "cradle of the Civil War." The lyrics are simply beautiful. The opening line is one of the most incredible descriptions of the Mississippi River Delta. Simon simultaneously reflects its beauty and cultural significance. Much of America's music has come from this region including the blues and rock 'n roll.

Without a doubt, I believe this song hits me personally. It was released two years after I was born, so most people of my age are not intimately familiar with it. While they listened to contemporary pop acts like Justin Timberlake, I was enjoying the wisdom and artistry of Paul Simon. It sets me a part from others of my age.

An early memory of mine is hearing "You Can Call Me Al," another song from the same album, with my father. It was also a favorite of mine, but then again,
Graceland, the album, is my favorite album. My father and I were returning from an outing when I first heard "Al." I loved it, and over the years, I became obsessed with the song. Eventually, I began listening to the entire recording. It did not take long for me to fall in love with every song on the album. As I grew older, "Graceland", the title song became my favorite. In fact, the first time I went to Memphis with my dad, we played this song.

As time goes by, "Graceland" continues to be a part of my life. It is a song that I listen to in any mood. When I am happy, I find joy in the lyrics, and when I am sad, it comforts me. When I go out to do karaoke, I often sing this song, and it makes me enjoy the moment. Many of my friends are not very familiar with it... except for the fact, it is my staple song selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment