Saturday, February 14, 2009

Talk About Awkward, or Last Night Was FAIL

Well, I am sure many of you are wondering how it went last night. As you know, it evolved from the simple getting a drink to a group adventure. Here is what happened in the end.

After falling asleep while watching TV, I got called and reminded to come out by a friend of mine. I told him I would be at the rendezvous soon. Ultimately, I arrived about an hour late and missed out on any pre-game activities.

So the plan for the evening was to go 80s dancing. Two people in the party were properly attired, and three of us were not. I was in that latter crowd unless by 80s dancing we meant dressing up like an old man. I do that well.

Anyway, we leave the rendezvous and begin to walk to our destination. Here is where the night begins to get awkward. My friend begins to talk to me about his decision that he will be my wingman tonight, and he is going to force me to talk to ladies. I appreciate his effort, but I believe he was oblivious to the reason why I was out that evening.

As for her, she was busy walking and talking with her friend. I was trying to eavesdrop to see if I could interject anything witty or humorous into the conversation. Ultimately, I failed.

Anyway, we reached the destination but alas! The 80s dance was canceled. Actually, I was a little relieved by this revelation. I was not looking forward to paying $5 and having to deal with lots of people.

Instead, we improvised with Happy Hour! The only problem was figuring out where to go. Now would have been a perfect opportunity to utilize my Happy Hour Guidebook, but it was in my bag at my apartment. Foiled by the universe again! Since we were by the Crystal, we tried out Henry's first, but it was crazy packed. Next on the list: Jake's Crawfish. We were able to get a table there. Much better.

Our table was a little secluded which was quite bad actually because it took forever to get service. On the plus side, Jake's has a pretty decent happy hour. They have a $2.00 cheeseburger with fries! I got some frog legs just because I was amazed it was on the happy hour menu. All I could think of while eating them was the poor little frogs with tiny little crutches. Anyway, now that I have plugged Jake's and its happy hour let me finish my narrative.

The conversation over drinks and food was decent. However, I never got an opportunity to talk to the girl really. It was always group stuff mostly. When I did speak, I tried to look directly at her, but I do not know how well that looked. I tried to be witty too. Like our waitress made a comment about her five year old son recently learning about gravity and being so obsessed with it that he tries to use it in every conversation. I was curious as to ways a five year old would utilize the concept of gravity. Example:

Parent: Why isn't your room clean?
Child: Gravity.

Actually, she picked up on the punchline and finished it before I could say it. I thought that was decent, but the problem with group conversations: too many voices. It is extremely difficult to steer them, and they can change on a whim of another member. C'est la vie.

On the walk back to campus, I suffered another setback. I noticed that she was cold, so I was considering offering her my jacket because I had a sweater on underneath. I was about to take it off when someone else beat me to it and offered her his jacket. Damn you man. Damn you. It is ok I still like you actually.

All in all, I consider the night a failure. I enjoyed the times I did get to talk to her, but it did not seem enough. She seems pretty cool, but I doubt anything else will happen. I do not think she is all that interested. Oh well maybe she will come to game night again.

Oh. As you have probably noticed, I have left out the names of individuals involved. It is is to protect the innocent... and the guilty...

2 comments:

  1. Fail Referee:

    Fail occurred. Fail responsibility falls 85% on the circumstances and 15% on the stupid "wingman." Wally is cleared of all fail charges and should circumvent both the circumstances and wingman by inviting aforementioned young lady to happy hour alone, and basing judgments of possibility on that experience instead. No foul, no penalty. Wally's move.

    ReplyDelete