Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Water Saving Toilets: An Observation

Recently, I made an observation about water efficient toilets. I have discovered a design flaw, and I feel they are ineffective. Now do not get me wrong. I think these devices are a wonderful idea, but they need some improvement.

When people are ready to flush, they are supposed to push down on the handle for solid waste, and they move the handle up for liquid waste. Simple enough, and most handles have a picture. However, people are going to push down before noticing the instructions. All of their lives they have been pushing down on toilet handles. They've been conditioned! Here is where the problem lies.

Now I assume that toilets deal more with the liquid waste than the solid. If this is true, then people are wasting water with these toilets. They instinctively push down. Why wouldn't they?

Now it is a possibility that this habit has been taken into account. Perhaps if it was the other way, people would be wasting more water because they would push down for solid waste, so it ends up wasting water because they have to flush more than once. However, if my assumption about liquid waste being more prevalent, then obviously that is not valid.

Ultimately, I think more research needs to be conducted. We need some solid data about bathroom habits. If I am correct, then I think these toilets should be re-designed. If I am wrong, well poo.

3 comments:

  1. I'm writing my congressman right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA! That sad thing is, I noticed this too, at the airport. Wally, I love you and miss you a shit ton... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha "well poo" nice!
    This is a logical argument but after the places I've had to use the bathroom here in China I would push pull swing from anything I had to just to have a real toilet on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete