Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Twenty Albums That Have Influenced My Life

There is an Internet meme going on right now where people are supposed to choose their 15 most influential albums. I believe in one version you're supposed to choose albums that you can connect to specific moments or times in your life. It is this version I am going to work off. The following albums may not be what I consider to be the My 15 Favorite Albums, but they are 20 works that have influenced my life in some way or fashion. I had to increase the list top 20 because I found my stuck at 18, and instead of eliminating three, I found it easier to add two more. Instead of just listing them, I plan on writing why these albums are important to me.

Lets begin with Number 20...

20. A Pocketful of Kryptonite by The Spin Doctors

To be honest with you, I actually do not care for most of this album. However, it needed to belong on the list for one simple reason. It is the first album that I remember owning myself. Everything else had always belonged to my parents, but I believe this to be my first CD, or at least the one I consider. (I'm going to choose not to count the Weird Al albums.) In fact, I can remember when and who bought this one for me. I got it one of the first two Christmases after my parents divorced. My stepgrandmother bought it for me, and I still have it many years later.

19. Songs You Know by Heart by Jimmy Buffett

Before I begin, let me just state how much I loathe greatest hits. I often quote the Kids in the Hall and describe them as only suitable for "housewives and little girls." That being said I found myself including about six of them on my list. Although there are albums that I prefer by these artists, these greatest hits influenced me more if for not other reason that they introduced me to an artist I now love.

The first of these is Songs You Know by Heart. I can very easily recall listening to this album with my mom while riding around in her red Hyundai. Buffett is a big part of my family life, and there is no way I could not include him on this list. Many times my family has gathered together to go see Buffett live, and I'm not just talking about parental units. Aunts, uncles, and cousins all go to the shows. Although I have most of his albums and don't even own this compilation, it is this album that has influenced me the most.

18. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.

I listened to this album almost religiously in high school, and it may have been part of the reason why I was depressed all the time. (OK. It may not have been the reason, but it certainly did not help the situation.) I haven't actually listened to it in a very long time, but there is no denying that for a couple of years at least, it was a very important part of my life.

17. Skeletons from the Closet: the Best of the Grateful Dead by the Grateful Dead

I started listening to the Grateful Dead because of Jimmy Buffett's cover of "Uncle John's Band" off of Fruitcakes. Luckily, my dad had this greatest hits, and I started listening to the original version. At first, I would only listen to that one song over and over, but eventually, I started listening to the songs preceding and following the track. Before long, I started listening to the whole damn album. Of course, I definitely prefer the album American Beauty, but it is this compilation that introduced me to the band and began to influence the style of music I have come to love: Americana.

16. Achtung Baby by U2

My stepdad has always been a big U2 fan, and most people would probably choose The Joshua Tree as their most influential album. It is probably the better album, but the one I have most memories of listening to is Achtung Baby. It is another one of those that I listened a lot to in high school, and it is a really good album. I could probably write more about it, but I don't know what to say.

15. Add It Up (1981-1993) by The Violent Femmes

I can still remember the day my stepdad bought this album. I wanted him to get Under the Table and Dreaming by Dave Matthews Band, but he bought this one instead. Over ten years later, and you can guess which one I listen to more. The Violent Femmes are a truly unique band, and I still love to listen to them. Surprisingly, I have bought very few of their albums, but this compilation has been an impact of my life and was another step along the path to discovering a style of music I truly love. From this band, I began to become interested in less mainstream groups, and it is probably the closest I have ever gotten to listening to punk. However, I enjoy them for their more folksy side.

14. Too Far to Care by the Old 97's

I'm not really sure how influential this album really was in my life, but I love it and the band. Therefore, I felt it should be on the list because it was the album that introduced me to the band. Well, that isn't completely true. I actually discovered random songs of theirs back in the days of Napster. However, this one was the first album of theirs I got. My mom bought it for my my freshman year of college, and since getting it, I've never been too far to care about it. (Ouch that was lame!)

I have always loved the bands lyrics. Rhett has written some great songs for a broken hearted man. Their so simple, but so right. I mean you cannot get much better than "I've got issues, yeah. Like I miss you, yeah." For more than one relationship, I have used "Big Brown Eyes" to express my feelings, and it seems fitting that I use this album because it has that song.

13. Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits by Simon & Garfunkel

Paul Simon has been a big influence on my life. I really got introduced to him and his work, both solo and with Garfunkel, my freshman year of high school when the marching band show was An Evening with Paul Simon. Now of days, I do own all of their albums, but I still feel that the greatest hits influenced my life. It is a great collection of songs, and it is a good introduction to an artist I love. Of course it isn't the most influential work of his on this list. That will appear later.

12. Crossing Muddy Waters by John Hiatt

In recent years, John Hiatt has become one of my favorite song writers. I love his rootsy voice and style. This album, his biggest folk effort, was the first one I ever received of his. At the time, I was falling in love with the single "My Baby Blue" off of Beneath This Gruff Exterior, and I was mentioning it to my mom. She happened to have a copy of Crossing Muddy Waters, and I was hooked as I placed it in the CD player. Since then, I have gone on to acquire about two-thirds of his discography, and it was all because of this wonderful album. It is a good beginning point for him, but I also recommend starting with Bring the Family.

11. Being There by Wilco

I got into Wilco around the time that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out, but it was Being There that introduced me to the band. It was around this time that I was beginning to discover alt-country and Americana artists. I bought this album while in NYC, and I am glad I bought it before Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Around this time there was a lot of publicity around record label drama for YHF, so a lot of people were discovering the band. However, I still feel Being There is the better starting album. It has less of the experimentations found on later recordings and showcases the group as the awesome rocking group that they are. Had I not begun with this one, I am not sure if I would be as big as a fan of Wilco. I'm just saying.

10. Flood by They Might Be Giants

I love They Might Be Giants, and it is because of this album. As soon as I got it for Christmas one year, I was hooked to the whimsical and metaphorical songs created by the Johns. Almost immediately, I set out to acquire as many more albums as theirs that I could. Within a week, I had two more recordings by them. I always look out for new material by them, and they were one of the best live shows I have been to. I would go see them again in a heart beat, and I hate live shows! This album really helps show that life can be fun, but serious all at the same time. How many other groups have written a song about a nite lite? I don't know the answer, but none of the songs would be as great as "Birdhouse in Your Soul."

9. American IV: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash

It was Cash's penultimate album that really made me a fan of his work. For years, I had claimed to like Cash, but it wasn't until I saw the video for "Hurt" that I sought out the work of this legendary artist. I began with American IV, and then I checked out the other American recordings. The entire series is phenomenal, but it only shows the artist in his later years. From there, I did the dreaded; I got a greatest hits. The man was always a genius, and he has so many landmark recordings. At Folsom Prison and At San Quentin are arguably two of the best live recordings either. The man was a bad ass, and he recorded up until the very end. It was because of American IV: The Man Comes Around that I discovered one of America's greatest treasures.

What I love about this album is the near perfect song choice. It is almost like Johnny knew this would be one of his last albums, and he chose songs that showed an old man's reflection on his life. Johnny has a lot of covers on it, but he manages to make them his own. Most people talk about how he recorded the definitive version of "Hurt," but I also think his version of "In My Life" is vastly superior to The Beatle's original. The song works so better with Johnny's mature voice and just has a deeper meaning when he sings it. Then there is the final song on the album: "We'll Meet Again." Although the end was near, he knew he'd see us all again. Whether it was on the other side, with a new album, or just simply re-listening to this one, he'd see us all again. God, the man was a genius and great talent.

8. Greatest Hits by Bruce Springsteen

I know. Another freaking greatest hits album on my list, but I love the Boss. In fact, he is the only boss I enjoy listening to. (I stole that from a t-shirt.) I have a large percentage of his discography, and I am not sure he has ever released a bad album. True some are not as good as others, but none of them are bad. So why then did I chose a greatest hits compilation instead of one of the legendary albums like Born to Run or The River?

Simple. Because I began with the hits. My dad and I bought this album, and then we went to go see him and the E Street Band live. Now, I already loved most of the songs, but after seeing him live, I was a devoted Springsteen fan for life. It never would have happened had it not been for the greatest hits album. Thus, it belongs on the list.

7. A Stranger in Town by Bob Seger

I grew up listening to Seger. He is my father's favorite artist, and I knew the lyrics to most of his songs since I started talking. With him being a part of my life for so long, you would think that a a greatest hits would be more appropriate, but I did not truly appreciate this man until much later in live.

While in college, I had a hankering for some Seger, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought A Stranger in Town. While listening to it, I realized Seger was more than just comfort music. He was a truly brilliant and rocking musician. With its driving opening drumming, "Hollywood Nights" sets the perfect tone and expectations for the album, and the whole damn thing delivers. Without a doubt it is my favorite album by him, and "Hollywood Nights" is probably my favorite song of his. It is also one of my favorite songs to do rock star kicks to. In my opinion, Seger does not get the respect he deserves. If you doubt me, check out this album and Live Bullet, his second best recording and one of the best live albums ever.

6. Trace by Son Volt

I remember the day I got this album. I had already downloaded half of the tracks off of it, and my stepdad tried to talk me into getting a new CD by a newer band. However, I knew I had to have this one. Ever since I first heard, Jay Farrar's voice, I have been a fan of his music. This album is phenomenal and has some great songs.

"Drown" is one of the most rocking, rootsy alt-country songs of all time. It belongs on Rock Band or Guitar Hero. It has some great guitar work. Then there is "Windfall." It is one of the most perfect opening songs for an album ever, and it is a pre-requisite to begin any road trip with me. The closing song "Mystifies Me" will always have a special place in my heart. It reminds me of a special someone, and for a while, I could not stand to listen to it because of the memories it brought back. However, that embargo could never last, and now it makes me smile that special kind of smile you have for a lost love.

5. Road of Memories by Moonlight Cellar Band

I know what you are thinking. Who the hell is the Moonlight Cellar Band? Well, they were some friends of mine from high school, and during our senior year, they recorded this lovely album. Of course, you are probably now asking yourself why the hell this makes a list of influential albums?

It has been about six and half years since I graduated high school, but this album still holds a lot of sway over me. Every once in a while I find myself putting it on and being reminded of some of my happiest memories from high school. I used to love to go see these guys play, and I was so excited when they made it. Hell, I bought like six copies of the album! I even got them to give my mom a bunch of copies in attempt to get a record deal. Despite all the memories, the music is pretty damn good too. (Even if Scott may deny it now.) It is hard to believe that it was recorded by some teenagers. As I was discovering alt-country and Americana bands, my friends formed a freaking Americana band, although I don't think they quite realized it at a time. Kudos to you guys. Isn't it about time for a reunion?

4. Magnificent Man by The Floating Men

The Floating Men are without a doubt my favorite band, and my favorite album by them is Song of the Wind. However, Magnificent Man has influenced me slightly more. It was the first album of theirs I ever got. It was gift from Gwen. When I was getting into them, they had just released this record, so when I saw them live, they were playing more cuts off of it. Actually, I will never forget the first time I ever saw them.

Gwen, my very first RD at MTSU, asked me if I wanted to go see a show that evening. After listening to the first few tracks off of Bootleg Snacks Volume 2, I was intrigued, so I loaded up in a car with her, Sheila the AC, and Chris French. We drove to the Bongo Java and saw Jeff Holmes do a primarily solo, acoustic set. I was hooked from then on out. After listening to a mix-CD over the summer, I finally got a Magnificent Man, so it became probably the most influential of their recordings. Plus, it has "Invisible Life" which contains my favorite line from a song ever: "I've given up on ever joining the rodeo, but I'd still make on hell of a spy."

3. Stardust by Willie Nelson

In my opinion, Willie Nelson is one of the greatest recording artists in American history. I know very few artists who are as respected by people of such various and diverse backgrounds than him. Stardust is my favorite album by him even though he did not write a single song on the album. It simply a collection of his interpretations of some classics of the Great American Songbook.

There were many nights while at MTSU that I would grab this album, get into my Ford Ranger, and drive around Murfreesboro. While listening to it, I would collect my thoughts, and I really think it helped me to get through some rough patches in my life. It is a very soothing and relaxing album. I also believe that Willie's version of the title song, "Stardust", is probably the definitive. I am not sure I have heard another version as close to as good as his is.

2. 83/93: An Anthology by Uncle Tupelo

It is hard to listen to alt-country and not like Uncle Tupelo. They are usualy given credit for creating the genre. That may be a bit of an overstatement, but they were definitely one of the most influential. When I was first discovering this genre and this band, all of their recordings were out of print, but Rhino had just released a greatest hits. Despite the fact that their four studio albums are vastly superior, I cannot deny the influence this compilation had on my life.

Throughout high school, I dreamed and longed for music that was really rocking but had just enough twang to really make you feel. Little did I know that people had already created it, and thanks to Uncle Tupelo, I found them and the sound I was searching for. From them, I went on to discover Son Volt, Wilco, Old 97's, The Jayhawks, and my love of Americana. I used to listen to those artists and this compilation as I drove back and forth from Murfreesboro and Cookeville my freshman year of college. A lot of the credit for this discovery goes to Jason Coleman and his borther's band, The Coal Men. Thanks to his website, I started to discover the music I love. Eventually, Uncle Tupelo's albums were re-released, and I retired this disc. However, there is no denying what an impact it had on my life as I started college.

1. Graceland by Paul Simon

For close to a decade now, this album has been my favorite, and there is no denying its impact on my life. In my opinion, it is one of the most perfect albums ever. Every song is great, and no matter what mood I am in, I can listen to this album. When I am happy, I find joy in the songs, and when I am sad, I find comfort. It is incredible.

I can still recall the first time I remember hearing "You Can Call Me Al." My father and I were coming back from Golden Mountain, and while at a gas station, this song came on over the radio in the truck. I was probably only 7 or 8, but it seemed like the most perfect song to me. Then a year or so later, I saw the video. I became obsessed with the song, and it was another one of those cases where I just listened to one track on an album and ignored the rest.

Eventually, I overcame my ignorance and discovered the other tracks on the album. I am not even sure when that happened, but I believe some credit goes back to that marching band show, "An Evening with Paul Simon." Thank you Mr. Talbert! However, I am pretty sure I had already a deep love affair with this album because I am pretty sure I got super excited when the decision was made for that show.

I can remember summers spent at my mom listening to this album while taking a shower. It has been such a part of my life for so long, and I love it. I have owned more copies of this album, and I even have it on vinyl!

It would be near impossible for me to choose my favorite track off of this album because they are all so incredible. Of course, there is my long, love of "You Can Call Me Al", but what about "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes"? "Under African Skies" is one of the most beautiful songs Simon has ever recorded, and then there is the title track. Out of all the perfect songs on the album, the song "Graceland" is probably the greatest song by Simon and my favorite song of all time. I love to do it a karaoke, and it is an incredible piece of music.

I am not sure if I have ever said this or he will ever get it, but thank you Mr. Paul Simon. My life would not be what it is without your album Graceland. It has helped me through some difficult times, and it has also been there to celebrate with me during some of my happiest moments. Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment